San Antonio, TX - The $325 million transformation of San Antonio’s Henry B. González Convention Center (HBGCC) is moving forward with the release of schematic design plans and renderings.
“Strong infrastructure combined with a distinct visitor experience is what makes San Antonio one of the top convention destinations in the nation” said SACVB Executive Director, Casandra Matej. “This project will allow us to offer convention clients a flexible, innovative facility that is built to meet their needs, providing benefits to all groups meeting in San Antonio, no matter the size” remarked Matej.
Set for completion during the spring of 2016, plans call for approximately 835,000 gross square feet of new construction and approximately 78,000 square feet of renovation to existing spaces. This highly anticipated transformation will be accomplished while the center remains operational, with no disruptions to events and customers.
Transformation at a glance:
- Approximately 260,000 square feet of new exhibit space for a total of over 500,000 square feet of prime contiguous exhibit space
- New ballroom of approximately 54,000 square feet (the largest in Texas)
- Goal of Silver LEED Certification
- Outdoor, wraparound balcony incorporates distinct sense of place showcasing the center’s ideal location in historic downtown along the River Walk
- Improvements to circulation and wayfinding
- New well-defined entrances
- Meeting, pre-function, and back-of-house support space
- Expansion of the existing kitchen
- Consolidated administrative and convention service support offices
“The new Henry B. González Convention Center will reflect the very best of what San Antonio has to offer,” said Michael Sawaya, Director of Convention and Sports Facilities. “Our socially friendly design will offer ultimate flexibility, state of the art technology, and an expanded, exciting art collection – all in one of the most dynamic destinations in the country,” Sawaya added.
Location has always been a key point of differentiation for the HBGCC. Now, renovations will create an even greater bridge between the center and its ideal surroundings. Nestled alongside the River Walk and Hemisfair Park, the center is immersed in the scenic charms of downtown San Antonio while also being within walking distance to thousands of hotel rooms as well as shops, restaurants, historic sites and even the 65,000-seat Alamodome.
Host to over 350 events a year, the HBGCC is a tremendously versatile facility which also offers the 2,400-seat Lila Cockrell Theatre. The upcoming transformation will allow San Antonio to offer an even more flexible, cutting-edge facility built to meet client and attendee needs for the next generation.
Details above are as of July, 2013. There may be slight adjustments as construction completes.